No? I thought so.
Well, Autodesk seem to think that they have fixed stairs and railings in v2018. Well, yes, the new multistorey stair tool is a great improvement on the old system, and it has certainly improved how it handles railings. But there is an awful long way still to go, particularly with railings.
Autodesk are now taking user input to the Revit Ideas website very seriously - yes they are listening to our requests on that site, and the number of votes really makes a difference.
Here is what we need to do: vote for all those stair and railing issues that urgently need attention.
I have looked through the list of ideas on the website. Since it is quite hard to navigate through all those duplicate ideas and requests for things that already exist (where people just need a bit more training), I will try to make it easier for you by creating a few links to ideas that I think need to be voted up. I was going to wait until I had comprehensively reviewed all the wishlist items, and gone through all my own requests and comments on this blog in the past, then added some more wishlist items - but I think it is too important to wait. I will add to this list in due course.
Please add your votes to any ideas that you support:
- Allow rename or delete of stair path system family; Fix stair path arrows so that we can quickly add a path to multiple views
- fix the broken Copy & Paste function for stair path arrows.
- "Show hidden linework" function should work on component stairs (actually it used to work on the old sketch stairs, but is broken on component stairs). This is doubly important now that the old stair by sketch command has been removed from v2018.
- Ability for stairs below to obey view range (or cut mark on stairs going down?)
- Component stair end in landing option
- Automatically cut a hole in floor above when creating a stair? Too dangerous? Or a good idea?
- Stairs - More Functionality - this one is a repost of the original request that gathered much support but was labelled as 'Implemented' by Autodesk when multistorey stairs were imporoved in v2018. The author does not consider any of its content to be implemented - (core & finish layers to stairs, more parameters, control over end conditions etc)
- Allow stairs to join structural elements such as beams
- Allow stairs and ramps to join walls and floors (same deal as above but it has lots of votes already)
- Allow Boolean Cut Void operations on stair components - so we can create irregular shaped stairs & landings without converting them to sketches
- Railing Overhaul - Resolution of Limitations - This is a comprehensive request to fix many things about railings from Chris Price (Mr Spot), who is an expert on Revit railings
Railing view properties
- Make railing terminations visible in plan view
- Allow railings to be visible in a Reflected Ceiling Plan -
- Schedule Railing posts and balusters
- Please make Railings more user friendly -
- Railing baluster spacing 'Shrink Pattern to Fit' option
- Unchained Railings - allow a break in the railing sketch
- Start and End Indents on Handrail Support Spacing
- Horizontal rails to have start and end indent/offset (to match start/end baluster space)
- Rationalise Railing Materials so we don't need to duplicate numerous linked families for one material change
More to be added soon . . . .